My family

My family
2023

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Growing Pains

Growing pains are good, right? They represent change and growth and maturity (or at least maturing), don't they? So why do they hurt?
I am nearly 40 and today I am experiencing some growing pains.
My first born baby turns 13 this week. So far we have gone through a few rights of passage that come with becoming a teen. She started a FB account. She's been chatting with girl friends on the phone in her bedroom for long lengths of time. They have started coordinating outfits to wear to school. And this A.M. I helped her put on some modest make-up to wear to school.
When did this happen? When did she turn into a young women and stop being such a little girl?How much room do I give her to spread her wings?
And the mommy guilt - yikes! Have we done enough to prepare her for what she's now facing in school and the "real world" as a young teen today? And her sisters aren't far behind. I feel like I missed more with them - more teachable moments and opportunities. Am I too late for them? Compared to their peers, Steve and I have really sheltered our girls. We are pretty strict about what they watch, read and do and who they hang out with. Is that going to backfire on us?
Growing pains... I think ours as parents might be worst than those of our children. We get to a point where all we can do is watch helplessly as our child faces bullies, peer pressure, worldly pressures and major life choices. It's out of our control.
But wait, was it ever in our control? I don't believe so. Sure Steve and I play an important role. So do extended family members, friends and teachers at school and at church. But truly, God is in control. He is who I have to lean when I am going through these growing pains. I can talk to Him and ask Him for His help, guidance and protection, for me and for my girls. He has a plan for each of us. He knows how many days we each have here and He had hopes and dreams for my girls long before I did.
I have a new favorite song by Laura Story called "Blessings". The refrain of the song reminds me how God uses our trials and growing pains to help us learn and grow. I am trusting these growing pains and whatever challenges come our way as our girls maneuver through their teens will be used to help them become the women God has planned for them to be.
Blessings
We pray for blessings We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

‘Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom Your voice to hear
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

‘Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights  Are what it takes to know You’re near
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home, It's not our home

‘Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleepless nights Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
And what if trials of this life The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise

2 comments:

  1. Stacie- from what you write you are raising your girls similarly to how I was raised. And I promise you- at this time in my life I am thankful that I was more sheltered than my peers (though, tip- do go over the big facts before they hear it elsewhere) My TV was monitored to what they found appropriate. When I was a kid I thought it was the worst thing ever- all my friends were watching shows I wasn't allowed to. But now as a parent, what is put on TV that is supposed to be for KIDS is ASININE! My kids are going to be lucky if they see anything at all. My kid is only a toddler but I can tell you, as a both a young adult and a mom, let her have a little freedom. Allow her to go to the mall with a friend, if you or the other "mom" stay at the mall but sit on a bench. My parents allowing that really boosted my self confidence, and allowed them to see that I do possess good judgement. Knowing Sam, I think she does too and if you allow her the freedom to show that, she'll shine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chessie. It's good to hear that while right now my girls might not like how protective mom and dad are, one day they will appreciate it. It's scary and exciting watching your baby start to fly. It's a great joy and makes your heart hurt a little at the same time. And you are right Sam has a good head on her shoulders and will shine!

    ReplyDelete